Foods to avoid during pregnancy: Because being pregnant sucks the life out of us women (figuratively speaking), we need to make sure we nourish our body as to not be susceptible to bacteria, viruses, and parasites that cause food-borne illnesses.
Even though I did not do this (it is a bit extreme), many say to buy a thermometer to ensure your food is at a proper temp. Basically that it is cooked. That is up to you!
Below I will briefly list foods to either don’t eat at all or to watch out for.
- Cheeses made from unpasteurized milk because it may contain e. coli: Brie, Feta, Camembert, Roquefort, Queso Blanco and Queso Fresco – read the labels.
– What you can eat: Cheddar or Swiss cheese, basically any cheese made with pasteurized milk.
- Raw cake batter or cookie dough: Make sure you don’t lick the spoon and just eat the BAKED cookie!
- Certain Fish or smoked seafood: sushi, shark, swordfish, king mackerel, tilefish and golden or white snapper because of mercury content.
– What you can eat: 12 ounces a week of cooked fish (145 – 165 degrees F) that are lower in mercury, such as shellfish (oysters or clams), shrimp, salmon, pollock, and catfish. Albacore tuna to 6 oz./week.
- Unpasteurized milk or juice (fresh squeezed or not but if you have to drink this type boil it for 1 minute first): may contain bacteria.
- Store bought pre-made salads: the ones that contain ham or any kind of meat because it may contain listeria.
- Raw or not cooked enough of sprouts: alfalfa, clover, mung bean, and radish because it may contain e coli or Salmonella.
- “Meats”: such as all styles of lunch meat, beef, veal, lamb, pork, ground meat, hot dogs and fermented or dry sausage. Make sure to always heat to crazy hot before eating (165 degrees F).
- Egg products: just make sure to COOK these types of dishes that contain eggs to super hot temps (160 degrees F) as it could contain Salmonella.
Also and of course the obvious, is to avoid junk food. Research has shown that these types of “foods” contain Acrylamide. This is a chemical that is used in things such as papers and dyes. Also they found this chemical in foods such as potato chips and french fries because these are baked or browned… basically that are cooked 248 degrees F and above.
This affects your pregnancy with a low birth weight for your newborn, roughly 4 ounces lower and smaller head circumferences. This chemical is also found in coffee!
Just sacrifice these things until after your pregnancy.