Britax has been one of the leading names in the car seat industry for a while now as the brand continually produces seats with impressive convenience and safety features.
But these features can make choosing a Britax seat, such as choosing between the Britax Boulevard vs Marathon, difficult.
What will it be?
Table Of Contents
Why Choose Britax?
The company started out in the automotive industry, manufacturing safety equipment, and accessories in 1938.
During the 1970s, the company switched gears and began making safety products for children such as child safety seats and strollers.
Since then the company has expanded its reach to every corner of the globe.
[Source: History of Britax]
Parents and guardians continue to choose Britax seats because of the leading safety features offered in all of their seats, including the Boulevard and the Marathon.
Safety Features To Look For
Did you know those head injuries are the leading cause of death for children ages 0-12 who are involved in a vehicle crash?
This is why all modern Britax convertible car seats have been specifically engineered to protect your child’s head during a crash.
There are a number of head safe technologies to look out for:
1.) A Base featuring SafeCell Technology
The SafeCells are designed to compress in a crash.
This technology significantly reduces the center of gravity and counteracts the forward rotation of the child seat which would otherwise propel the child forward and toward the front seat.
2.) Integrated Steel Bars
The steel bars strengthen the seat’s connection to the vehicle and they reduce the forward flexing of the car seat during a crash.
3.) The Energy-Absorbing Versa-Tether
This tether which is unique to the Britax brand features staged-release tether webbing.
This slows the forward movement of your child, reduces the force of the crash on your little one, and the two-point attachment minimizes forward rotation while also anchoring the top of the child seat.
4.) Side Impact Protection
Every Britax car seat on the market has been designed to protect your child’s head and chest in the event of a side impact crash.
The level of side impact protection available will depend on the seat you choose.
However, all Britax car seats feature the brand’s standard Side Impact Protection system featuring a rigid shell and deep side walls which distribute crash forces away from your child during a crash.
The Fit and Comfort Features You Want In A Car Seat
Another important safety consideration is the fit of the seat.
You want a comfortable seat that your child will want to sit and relax in.
Every Britax seat has been built with the following comfort features:
1.) Rear and Forward Facing Recline
This allows you to recline the seat to increase your child’s comfort while in the seat.
2.) Multiple Buckle Positions
These easy to use buckles make it a cinch for you to make sure that your child is safe and comfortable in his seat.
3.) High-Density Comfort Foam
This extra layer of padding gently cushions your child.
Features That Make Britax Seats-Easy to Use
The car seat you choose is something that your child will likely be using almost each and every day.
That is why it is important that the seat has easy to use features that make both installation and adjustments a breeze.
You can expect your Britax convertible car seat to include the following:
- Premium LUAS (LATCH) Connectors
The LATCH system makes installing a car seat safety to your vehicle quick and simple. The seats also feature a push button for easy release.
- Built-in Lock-Offs
The lock-off system allows you to make the harness nice and snug around your child’s lap and shoulders with little effort.
- Convenient Harness Holders
These hold the harness straps to the side so that you can easily place your child in the seat.
- An Anti-Slip Contoured Base
This base makes protects the vehicle seat and offers the optimum fit for your vehicle.
What Is The Britax ClickTight Installation System?
Both the Britax Boulevard and the Britax Marathon feature what is known as the Britax ClickTight installation system.
The introduction of this innovative system is important for two reasons:
- Standard belt fitting systems cause up to 75% of seats to be incorrectly installed. The Britax system, however, makes the proper installation of the seat easy for parents and guardians.
- The 2014 LATCH Law has made it so that convertible car seats must be re-installed using a seat belt once your child reaches a certain weight (for both Britax models it is 40lbs)
The Britax ClickTight installation system does not offer any “direct” safety benefits.
But having a properly installed seat is a large part of keeping your child safe when in his seat and any developments which make installation easier are appreciated by parents and guardians.
Britax Boulevard vs. Marathon: Which One To Choose?
Both the Britax Boulevard and the Britax Marathon have the same weight limits of rear facing from 5 to 40lbs and forward-facing from 20 to 65lbs (and at least 1 year old). But there are some distinct differences between the two.
The Britax Boulevard is less than 30lbs in weight and can accommodate children who are 49” or less in height.
- This seat offers a greater seated shoulder height, having a maximum seated shoulder height of 18.65”. This means you can use the seat for longer.
- The Boulevard features “Side Impact Protection Plus”, meaning that it comes with additional padding on the adjustable headrest.
- The seat is outfitted with HUGS chest pads which helps reduce the forward movement of your child in a crash.
- The seat has heavier padding and a body pillow which ensures a more snug fit for infants
- Children have more shoulder room in this seat than the Marathon.
- This seat retails for more than the Marathon
- This seat does not rank as highly for “ease of use” by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, receiving 3 stars for forward facing and two stars for rear facing.
- The seat is about 1 lb. heavier than the Marathon
The Britax Marathon can also be used for children who are 49” or less in height and who are up to 65lbs.
- The Marathon ClickTight comes with the “Click & Safe Snug Harness Indicator”. This audible indicator helps parents and guardians determine if the child’s seat harness is approximately snug.
- No-rethread and quick adjust harness makes it easy for you to adjust the harness as necessary.
- Features the EZ-Buckle System which holds the harness buckle in a forward position
- The set has a lower maximum seated shoulder height than the Britax Boulevard, so children who are taller or who have a longer torso will not be able to use the seat for as long especially if you want to keep your child in rear-facing mode for longer.
- May not be as suitable for smaller babies as the Boulevard due to lack of additional padding
Universal Installation Video for The Britax Car Seats:
What will it be?